The Newspaper Guild was formed by columnist Heywood Broun in 1933. The Newspaper Guild web site provides a brief history and timeline. The Albany Newspaper Guild, chartered on March 20, 1934, is the labor union representing about 200 employees of the Times Union, the largest daily newspaper covering Albany, N.Y., and the surrounding Capital Region.
There will be a meeting of Local 34’s Executive Board at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 9 at the Labor Temple. As always, these meetings are open to the membership.
Executive Board Agenda
- Approval of minutes
- Treasurer’s report
- Monthly update
- Commission committee
- Communications committee
- Mobilizing committee
- Grievances and arbitrations
- Contract negotiations
- Solidarity/support for other unions
- Old business
- Catering and Insurance for the Summer Picnic
- Issues in Advertising
- District Manager concerns
- New business
- Annual contribution to the Solidarity Committee of the Capital District
- Courtney Rubin, Bill Blais are our winners!
- We’ll pick Roma Foods gift card winners at 1 p.m. Tuesday
- Schultz, O’Brien to attend union conventions
- April’s Executive Board meeting agenda
- Tim Wilkin may be out of the bobblehead contest but he is still a winner to us!
- Tuesday is the day: Join us as we thank our advertiser
- Proud of our press, but Hearst should invest in workers too
- March’s Executive Board meeting agenda
- Give your input Tuesday on press ad